Intensive Study Tour to Reggio Emilia – January 2019
Dates: Sunday 13 – Friday 18 January, 2019
“The schools of Reggio Emilia were born of a true process of popular participation… Participation is essential to the processes of learning and identity in children and adults [and] a common journey which makes it possible to construct the sense of belonging to a community.” Rinaldi, 2006, p.175
The focus for the week will be The Culture of Participation. This study tour offers delegates an opportunity to encounter the principle of participation and hear about its role within the educational project of Reggio Emilia. Honouring the ‘constant relational reciprocity’ that exists between children, educators, families and the community, participation offers a strategy for inclusion, belonging, advocacy, community and culture.
This professional learning opportunity is designed for educators who have attended Reggio Emilia Study Tours previously and are keen to return to take their learning further. This tour IS NOT SUITED to people just beginning to explore the principles of the Reggio Emilia educational project.
Preference will be given to REAIE members working in an Australian context.
The Study Program:
- The group will be accompanied by two study tour leaders from Reggio Australia.
- The program will commence on Sunday 13 January at 5 pm at the Loris Malaguzzi International Centre. It is within easy walking distance from the Astoria Hotel. The program concludes on the evening of Friday 18 January.
- There will be opportunities for the group to come together in the late afternoon or evening for further discussions facilitated by the accompanying study tour leaders. These get-togethers will present opportunities for the participants to network, share their own practice and reflect on the day’s presentation during the study week.
- Study tour leaders will be available throughout the study tour to assist REAIE participants.
- Reading materials will be provided to participants prior to departure from Australia to assist with preparation for the study tour and to facilitate learning.
- General travel advice and tips are provided to the group prior to departure from Australia.
- REAIE Office is available for any questions or concerns in the lead up to the tour’s departure and to answer any queries while you are away.
The program costs include:
- Presentations by and meetings with pedagogistas, teachers, administrators and parents.
- Visits to Infant Toddler Centres and Preschools of the Municipality of Reggio Emilia.
- Information for each participant about the town of Reggio Emilia, its municipal infant toddler-centre and preschool experience and Reggio Children.
- Private bus transportation to and from the centres in Reggio Emilia as required by the program.
- Professional English interpreters as required by the program.
- Coffee, lunch breaks and farewell reception.
Travelling to Italy
Delegates are to make their own travel arrangements. The study tour leaders travel arrangements will be provided to delegates as soon as they are confirmed. They will be arriving in Bologna on Saturday 12th January 2019.
REAIE uses the services of DQ International Travel Service. To contact DQ International Travel Service please call Damian Quirk 03 9614 4588 or email. Damian is also able to organise travel with other airlines and incorporate other travel arrangements and tours.
The study tour leaders will be staying at the Astoria Hotel, which is situated in the centre of the city of Reggio Emilia. Damian Quirk at DQ International Travel Service is able to assist you with these arrangements should you wish to stay with the study tour leaders.
The cost of the 2019 Intensive Study Week is $3250.00AU.
- The fee is an all-inclusive cost to all participants and cannot be altered for non-use of some of the components, e.g. bus transportation etc.
- The fee does NOT include accommodation, airfares, insurance, transfers or other associated costs.
Study Tour Cancellation Fees
- Delegates who cancel their registration before 11th October 2018 will incur an administration fee of $100.
- Delegates who cancel their registration between 12th October and 9th November 2018 will incur the loss of the full deposit paid ($750).
- The final balance is due by 9th November 2018.
- Delegates who cancel their registration after the final payment has been made will incur the loss of the total fee $3250 where the place is unable to be filled by another delegate.
- If the place is filled, the loss incurred will be the deposit of $750.
Limited places are still available, please click here to register.
To learn more about REAIE Membership please click here