An Encounter with the poetic languages of sound and movement: listening with all our senses
Presenters: Jody Kingston and Karen Szydlik
Date: Wednesday 15 September 2021
Time: 7.30pm - 8.30pm (AEST)
Links to access the webinar will be sent to registered participants on Wednesday 15 September.
Please note that your link will be sent to the email address you use in your registration.
Registrations have now closed
We're sorry, but all tickets sales have ended because the event is expired.
•…Claudia Giudici, pedagogista, puts it like this, ‘When we speak of languages we refer to the different ways children (human beings) represent, communicate and express their thinking in different media and symbolic systems; languages, therefore, are the fonts or geneses of knowledge’. Poetic languages are forms of expression strongly characterized by expressive or aesthetic aspects such as song, dance or photography. (Vecchi, 2010 p.9)
Music and dance are all around us in the form of sound and silence, and movement and stillness, where, if one listens deeply, observes knowingly and has the ability to ‘read’ these poetic languages the extraordinary in the ordinary is made audible, visible and meaningful.
How can we build our sonic and kinaesthetic literacy? How do teachers plan for the elements of sound and movement to be part of the contexts for learning so that we can “listen with all our senses” (Rinaldi, 2012). What provisions are made for the children whose preferred ways of expression are movement and sound, or dance and music?
This webinar is designed as an introduction to attuning ourselves to sound and movement, so that we feel better equipped to notice, document, plan for, research and value these poetic languages. In short, so that we too can be “professional marvellers of children” (Malaguzzi in Vecchi, 2010, p108) as we research sound and movement alongside children.
• explores theories of listening and embodied practice
• introduces tools for deep listening, sound-making and movement
• provides examples of children’s responses to listening and moving
Jody and Karen, playfully, lyrically and gently explore the languages of sound and movement through a Reggio lens, drawing on their experiences in the worlds of music, dance, and teaching and their respective PhD and Doctoral research projects.
Webinar Terms and Conditions:
- • Please ensure a personal email address is used when registering to ensure you receive the zoom link to join the webinar.
- • Webinars will be made available 2 days after the event is held for a period of 7 days. This time period is not negotiable. If you are unable to view the webinar on the scheduled date or wish to rewatch the webinar please do so within this timeframe. Any requests for extensions will be at an additional cost.
- • If you are interested in sharing any of our webinars for team training or private professional learning please contact us to discuss group rates.
- • All webinars will be available to repurchase at a later date.
- • Webinars are for individual use and are not to be shared.
- • Participants will need to download the (free) Zoom platform https://zoom.us/
- • It is suggested for participants to use a laptop or desktop – not a phone, this allows for easier use of the webinar tools.
- • No part of the discussion may be recorded by participants nor screenshots taken – reference material will be sent to participants after the event.
- • REAIE will be utilizing a range of tools during the webinar to enable participation.
- • You are invited to utilise the features within Zoom webinar for example the chat feature and the Q & A feature when made available by the presenter.
- • Cancellations must be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org NO LATER THAN 5 business days before the event. All refunds will incur a 20% administration fee. Cancellations made within 5 business days of an event will not be refunded.
- • There is no refund for non-attendance at an event.
- • All participants will receive a certificate of participation.
- • All sessions will be recorded.
- • The purchase of webinar attendance is for use by the purchaser only and registration information should not be forwarded on to third parties; doing so may hinder your own access, as webinar entry is by prior registration only. Similarly, the materials and replay of webinars are for use by the purchaser only and should not be forwarded on to third parties.