April Study Tour to Reggio Emilia
Dates: Sunday 19 – Friday 24 April 2020
Registrations to the April 2020 Study Tour are now closed. Information about the April 2021 Study Tour will be available in September 2020.
The Municipal early childhood programs in Reggio Emilia, Northern Italy, for children aged three months to six years, are internationally acclaimed for the inspirations, challenges, and provocations they provide for all those concerned with the care and education of young children. Observation, documentation, and collaborative interpretation of children’s discussions and actions, provide the constant possibility of developing new theories and constructs based on practice.
The schools in Reggio Emilia have developed in direct response to beliefs held about the purpose of education, and in response to the specific cultural, geographic, political, economic and historical experiences of a small city in Northern Italy. This history combined with the fact that the theories, ideas and practices in the schools are always changing and evolving, means that the schools cannot provide a model for practice in Australia, nor a tool for the marketing of schools. Rather they offer an inspiration and a provocation for our own thinking and practice.
The Study Program – April 2020
- The study program will commence on Sunday 19 April at 10.30am with a meeting of the Australian delegation at the Astoria Hotel.
- Registration for the study tour will open at 2pm at the Loris Malaguzzi International Centre, followed by the Welcoming Lecture at 3pm.
- There will be an optional guided walking tour of the city at 5pm.
- The program will then continue on Monday 20 April at the Loris Malaguzzi International Centre, which is within walking distance from the Astoria Hotel. The program concludes on the evening of Friday 24 April.
- Lectures will be in either English or Italian. An interpreter will be available whenever the Italian language is to be used.
- The study program fee will include:
- Presentations by and meetings with teachers, pedagogistas, atelieristas, parents and administrators
- Visits to pre-schools and infant toddler centres of the Municipality of Reggio Emilia
- Visits to exhibitions
- Five lunches, all coffee breaks and a farewell afternoon tea
- Full program details will be emailed to participants shortly before departure.
- Accompanying people are welcome to be part of the group, however, they will not be able to participate in the study program.
- It should be noted that the program is usually very intensive, including evening sessions.
- The program is carefully planned to provide a sequence of knowledge building and it is therefore crucial to attend each session.
- Two Study Tour Leaders from REAIE will accompany the group.
- Late afternoon ‘get togethers’ will be organised with the Study Tour Leaders and REAIE participants.
- Study Tour Leaders are ‘on call’ throughout the study tour to assist REAIE participants.
- A group accommodation booking for Australian delegates has been made at the Astoria Hotel in the inner city. While this is by no means compulsory, there are many advantages of being together in a group: daily communications, including any changes to the program or to travel arrangements are easy when everyone is together; people also make friends and form small groups that support discussion during the study program and open possibilities for sightseeing, sharing mealtimes and providing support for each other. Past feedback suggests that this enhances the whole study tour experience and is worthwhile.
- Statewide meetings are held one month before the study tour. We offer meetings or other communications with Study Tour Leaders (Melbourne REAIE office) or Network Conveners/past participants in other states for participants to meet and share their questions and listen to information from others who have been on the study tour with REAIE.
- Reading materials are provided to participants prior to departure from Australia to assist with preparation for the Study Tour and to facilitate learning.
- General travel advice and tips are given to the group prior to departure from Australia.
- REAIE Office staff are available for any questions or concerns in the lead up to the tour’s departure and to answer any queries while you are away.
Travelling to Italy
Delegates are to make their own travel arrangements. The Study Tour Leaders will be traveling with Qantas and Emirates Airlines arranged through DQ International Travel Service. Departure is available from all Australian capital cities on Tuesday 14 April 2020 and travel via Dubai (where delegates can meet up) and then on to Bologna.
Study Program Costs
The cost of the 2020 Study Tour is $3250.00AU.
This cost includes visits to schools, local bus travel to schools and other venues, meetings, presentations, Reggio Children farewell reception, morning and afternoon teas, interpreters, insurance against damage to schools, and printed materials. International delegates are also required to pay a 20% tax to the Italian Government for professional learning undertaken in Italy. The tax was introduced in 2009 and is included in the fee. This fee also includes pre-tour readings, meetings, as well as costs associated with providing two Australian Study Tour Leaders, and general administration costs of the study tour.
N.B The fee is an all-inclusive cost to all participants and cannot be altered for not participating in some of the components, e.g. land transportation, etc.
N.B It does not include accommodation, airfares, insurance, transfers or other associated costs.
The demand for places is high, and places will be allocated on receipt of your registration form and deposit of $750.00AU on a first come, first served basis. No exceptions are possible. Registrations will close on 29 November 2019 or as soon as all places are filled.
A block booking of accommodation has been made at the Astoria Hotel situated in the centre of the city. To organise accommodation at the conference rate at the Astoria Hotel, bookings must be made through Damian Quirk at DQ International Travel Service. This is regardless of how your flight arrangements have been made. Please contact Damian as soon as your registration has been confirmed if you wish to stay with the Australian delegation. You will be required to supply Damian with a copy of your passport when arranging your booking.
All participants must take out an individual travel insurance policy for illness, accidents or loss which may occur during the study tour. Travel insurance is available from DQ International Travel Service on application.
REAIE has signed a contract with Reggio Children (RC) in Reggio Emilia for a specific number of REAIE Study Tour delegates. REAIE is required to pay a non-refundable deposit to RC for the total number of delegates in January 2020.
- Delegates who cancel their registration before 29 November 2019 will incur an administration fee of $100.
- Registration cancellations that occur between and inclusive of 30 November 2019 and 28 February 2020 will incur a loss of the full deposit paid ($750).
- Cancellation after 28 February 2020 will incur a total loss of fee of $3250 where the place is unable to be filled by another delegate. If the place is filled the loss incurred will be the deposit of $750.
Bus transfer option from Bologna Airport to Astoria Hotel, Reggio Emilia
- REAIE will organise a bus from Bologna Airport to the Astoria Hotel, Reggio Emilia on Wednesday 15 April 2020 and from the Astoria Hotel, Reggio Emilia to Bologna Airport on Saturday 25 April Australian delegates and accompanying persons are also invited to travel on these buses.
- There will be an additional charge for these transfers. Further information will be sent out once your registration has been received.
Day trips to Florence and Venice
- Cultural days in different parts of Italy prior to the commencement of the Study Week, assist the participants with meeting and forming bonds with the REAIE study group, and becoming more familiar with the diversity and history of Italy. REAIE will offer two one day trips by bus. The Study Tour Leaders accompany the participants on these trips.
- REAIE will organise a bus transfer to Venice on Thursday 16 April 2020 and to Florence on Saturday 18 April, 2020. Australian delegates and accompanying persons are also invited to participate in these bus transfers.
- Participants will be free to explore the cities of Venice and Florence. Guided tours are not included. Please click on the links for further information about Venice, http://en.turismovenezia.it/ and Florence http://www.firenzeturismo.it/en/
- We strongly recommend these trips as a way of settling into the group and for getting to know one another before the intensive study program begins. Delegates on past study tours have commented that they hadn’t realised how much the quality of their study week would depend on feeling part the group – and how important the bus trips were for getting to know each other.
- Details and costs will be sent out once your registration has been received.
- Places on the buses are limited and are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Optional Farewell Dinner
There will be an optional farewell dinner for the Australian delegation on Friday 24 April at Caffe Arti e Mestieri at an additional cost. Further details will be sent out with the day trip information once deposits have been received.
Members receive priority booking. To learn more about REAIE Membership please click HERE.
Please click here to download further information.